Roughly 15 percent of North America alone suffers from constipation. Therefore, finding suitable effective constipation relief is an absolute godsend. Constipation relief can be found in many forms, however, what works for one person may not work for another and some constipation remedies work for everyone.
On the market, today you can find many constipation remedies, let’s take a closer look at these.
- Fruit &Vegetables, now you must be thinking vegetables are not part of constipation remedies. The truth is they are the most effective way of natural constipation relief. Vegetables such as broccoli and cabbage are high in fiber and adding a generous portion to your dinner will help in constipation relief. Fruits such as Apples and Bananas are a great way to snack and at the same time obtain the valuable fiber you need for full and frequent bowel movements.Water, yes plain and simple H2O is imperative for constipation relief. It is a must and one of the essential constipation remedies. Without water, we cannot function and when we are even 10 percent dehydrated we can lose up to 40 percent of our normal functioning ability which includes functioning of the digestive system. When people rely on OTC pharmaceutical laxatives and ignore the intake of water they are asking for trouble. As the eventuality is severe side effects from the laxatives as well as detrimental health impacts due to lack of water. So be sure to drink at least 2 liters of water a day even if you are taking over the counter or prescription laxatives.
- Laxatives, you will find a wide range of over the counter laxatives and if your condition is severe you may even have your doctor prescribe you prescription laxatives for constipation relief. Let’s take a look at what’s available over the counter. Bulk-forming laxatives such as psyllium hydrophilic mucilloid (Metamucil) and methylcellulose (Citrucel). Stool softeners such as Colace and Surfak. Osmotic laxatives such as GlycoLax, and MiraLax. Suppositories such as docusate, bisacodyl (Dulcolax Suppository), and sodium phosphate (Fleet Enema). We do not recommend the use of any of these methods as they are all chemical and can cause dependency. We are a company dedicated to natural health and advise dietary changes and a holistic approach to relieving constipation.
- Herbal Preparations, herbs have been used for centuries for constipation relief. They form the best natural remedies for constipation. You may find that remedies such as Senna alone are effective but for those requiring further help can look at herbal alternatives. Herbal alternatives are when several raw herbs or herbal extracts are mixed together to provide relief from constipation. These power natural remedies for constipation can include at times up to 10 different herbs and not only target the relief of constipation but to cure the actual root cause. You will find that many of the natural laxatives contain herbs which benefit and detox the liver which helps immensely in relieving chronic constipation because the liver then begins to function at its best.
Natural remedies for constipation are definitely worth a closer look as this topic covers everything from food and drink to herbs and vitamins. As we have covered earlier its extremely important to eat the right fruit and vegetables. In addition to this water is most important for constipation relief and the most valuable of constipation remedies. Once you are eating the correct vegetables daily with adequate water consumption you should then look at natural constipation remedies by way of herbal products and raw herbs. You must be sure that any products you are purchasing are from a valid supplier or source.
Many countries now offer herbal constipation relief products for those who do not want to take chemical laxatives and require herbals to add to their diet and lifestyles. The United Kingdom holds an official registration and approval process for natural constipation remedies. It is called the THR scheme meaning Traditional Herbal Registration Scheme. In order for an herbal product to be approved and legally available for sale in the United Kingdom, it must undergo an evaluation of many criteria to qualify as a THR. This will include the traditional use of the herbs and the ability for the manufacturer to meet the quality requirements. The evaluation criteria state that the herbs should evidence use within Europe over the last 30 years which kind of defeats the objective as most effective and useful herbs are derived from India. Therefore, you will find that the effectiveness of many THR’S is poor.
In Canada, however, there is a far more effective way of approving natural remedies for constipation. It’s called the Natural Health Products Directorate (NHP). In this process, if you can substantiate the traditional use via forms of accredited pharmacopeia regardless of the origin of the plant you may seek herbal products approval for sale. Many highly effective and health Canada approved formulas can be purchased in this way allowing you to obtain effective constipation relief products.
Constipation remedies need not be over the counter pharmaceutical or even herbal remedies. Natural remedies for constipation can be found by way of diet and lifestyle changes also. For those of you who can make the effort for such changes will find that you have greater benefit and constipation becomes a thing of the past. It will be far more beneficial for your wellbeing rather than relying on quick pharmaceutical fixes and some herbal products that are accredited will only add to the benefit and healing of the body.
Regular exercise such as walking or light jogging daily with stimulating your metabolism and liver functions to help your digestive system operate better. A good example of this would be to make a diet plan that focuses on dense nutrient content. This means you would calculate your intake of calories, fiber intake, protein, carbohydrates, and fats. This is believed to be difficult for someone who has never done as such before but is no doubt to be the best natural remedies for constipation.
You will find that your body is now receiving the nutrients it needs to function properly along with stimulation through exercise. Having a correct and calorie counted diet will not only help you loose weight but also detox and cleanse the body as a whole. You must try to concentrate on nutrient dense foods to benefit from constipation relief. What we mean by this is to consume wholesome foods and swap bad habits for good. Below are a few examples:
- Swap white bread for brown
- Swap White potatoes for sweet potatoes
- Sugary cereals for oats
- Snacks on fruit and nuts NOT chocolate and crisps
- Avoid coffee and extra milk
- Use green tea and drink black tea to cut down or quit coffee
- Count your calories and don’t over eat or indulge
- Ensure that your nutrient intake is calculated and correct
- Eat good fats, swap chocolate for nuts and avocados to consume more polyunsaturated fats rather than saturated fats.
Now that we have touched on the topic of fats I would like to talk about this a little further as I believe it would be beneficial for constipation relief. As you know there are three types of fats, Saturated, mono unsaturated and polyunsaturated. The later being considered the best, however, your body does require a small amount of saturated fat also. The key is to consume the correct quantities. The daily consumption of fats for the average man is 65 grams. He should, therefore, obtain these nutrients from the correct sources such as nuts and avocados as these have a better ratio of saturated to polyunsaturated than for say chocolates, which you would find are condensed with saturated fats which will, in fact, have a detrimental effect on digestion.
Carbohydrates are another important nutrient. You should always try to consume complex carbohydrates rather than simple carbohydrates. Simple carbohydrates are things like white rice, sweets and white potatoes. They break down quickly into your blood stream and cause the rather unwanted insulin spikes. Such foods contain low nutrients and fiber, they often add to constipation and lack essential vitamins and minerals that are much needed. So as I have recommended in my above list, I cannot stress enough that you should consume high-quality complex carbohydrates. You will obtain more fiber, vitamins, and minerals when compared to simple carbohydrates. Making this change alone can benefit you substantially.
Finally, the last nutrient is protein, which acts as a building block for our bodies and muscles. Too much of it though and you will find yourself constipated. Many people and particularly those who lift weights are under the impression that they need a huge amount of protein. This is not true and if you are beginning to tackle constipation and start an exercise plan you should aim for 0.75 to 1 gram per pound of bodyweight is more than adequate. If you are not engaging in heavy weight training then please follow 0.75 grams per pound of body weight. This will help increase your muscle mass when combined with anaerobic exercises. It has been proven that increased muscle mass improves metabolism and fat burning properties. You must, however, ensure that you are drinking plenty of fluids as remember high protein diets can also cause constipation which is the opposite of what you are trying to achieve. Having the correct carbohydrate, fats and protein will only be of benefit.
Another point to consider is the type of protein you are consuming. Having protein with high-fat content is also detrimental to our goal. You should select and choose lean pieces of meat, chicken, and fish. You must ensure that the content of fats is primarily very low or consist mainly of mono and poly fats. My personal favorite is sea bass, this nutrient dense fish contains a whopping 45 grams of protein in just two fillets and has mainly mono and poly fats which are great for consuming exactly what I need.
Along with the advice, I have provided there are many natural remedies for constipation that come in the way of simple supplements that you can add to your diet. They will help you kick start your new action plan and motivate you to keep going. One such valuable supplements are called flax seeds. You may consume this as a food supplement daily which will help you to achieve your dietary fiber and fat intake. It also provides essentials oils and a good range of healthy fats. It’s a very easy supplement to take and you may have a serving a few hours after your last meal and about an hour before bed. This simple task will help provide effective constipation relief for mild sufferers of constipation.
I cannot stress enough that the primary focus for those of you who want to cure constipation is, to begin with, a custom and correct nutrition plan to ensure that your fiber and nutrient intake is correct. So many people make the mistake of taking harmful otc laxatives rather than addressing the route cause. Your body and health is the most precious asset you have and I would make having diet and life style changes the first and most important call to action. Thereafter there are many herbal preparations such as Ayulax by Dynaved which provide effective constipation relief and contain several herbs which provide benefit to the liver and gastro intestinal tract as a whole. Helping these bodily parts to function and recover well. One of the marvelous herbs contained in Ayulax is called OperculinaTurpethum. This herb is traditionally used in Ayurveda for Panchakarma which is known as the total body detox. Ayulax will therefore inevitably help you to release toxins from the body and detox effectively whilst relieving constipation and supporting the liver and gastrointestinal tracts. The products work in harmony with your body.
To summarize how to achieve effective constipation relief through constipation remedies and natural remedies for constipation I recommended the following simple and effective steps.
- Ensure you are having the correct calorie intake
- Engage in exercise, make a plan to include both cardio and light weights
- Make a nutritional plan ensuring you’re eating the correct foods such as complex carbs, mono unsaturated and polyunsaturated fats along with lean proteins such as chicken breast and lean meats. Avoid burgers, fast foods and fizzy drinks like the plague.
- Supplement your diet with valuable aids such as flax seeds.
- If you still require extra help for constipation relief tries to use natural herbal remedies rather than pharmaceutical products. Ensure that the product is licensed so that you are purchasing a remedy that is both safe, licensed and effective.
Have a cheat day, yes you heard right. Sticking to a nutritional plan and exercising regularly may make you bored and want to have a change. I would, therefore, recommend you treat yourself to one meal a week of your choice. Don’t worry about its contents that day just enjoy that one cheat meal and an activity such as going to the movies to keep sanity on track. Enjoy and good luck.